JYJ‘s Junsu discussed his thoughts on the ending of the legal battle with SM Entertainment.
Junsu took part in a press conference at the Sheraton Hotel in Essen, Germany to mark the ending of his 1st World Tour. He said, “The legal battle lasted for 3 years and 4 months. To be honest, it should have ended earlier… But at the same time I also feel that the results came out suddenly. Having had a hard time for 3 years and 4 months, I felt like that time was not spent in vain… I heard the news when I was leaving for Germany, so I actually don’t know all the details of the settlement.”
He continued, “Because of that, it’s hard to say too much on this. The important thing is that we were able to obtain good results. I haven’t talked to the members yet, but I want to when I get back to Korea.”
When asked about what JYJ has been able to gain from the settlement, he responded, “I’m happy not because we achieved what JYJ or we wanted to achieve, but because we might have helped our hoobaes. I think we helped in making the environment better for our hoobaes. Contracts of 13, 10 years have been changed to basic contracts, and even that alone was consolation during our lonely legal battle. It’s what kept us going.”
On the issue of appearing on variety shows, he said carefully, “If this type of result allows for us to appear on broadcast, then it should have been possible three years ago when we first filed (to become independent).” He added, “I don’t know if it will be possible for us to appear on variety shows through this result. We always dream about it, but I want to ask all you reporters, do you think we can?“
One unfortunate result of the lawsuit was that there will probably never be a 5-membered TVXQ. On that subject, he said, “A lot of time passed, but one unfortunate fact is that we can no longer have activities under the TVXQ name. We wanted to fight against the company’s unfairness, it wasn’t that we wanted to leave TVXQ. It just had to happen. It’s regretful and saddening. I feel sorry to the fans, but the title of TVXQ will remain forever. But realistically, it’s going to be difficult to promote as TVXQ again.”
[NEWS] XIA Kim Junsu mentioned his wish of standing as TVXQ infront of the fans in the future.
T/N: The translation has been done very carefully, to make Junsu’s intention clear and accurate.
Kim Junsu held a press conference at a hotel in Essen on 29th, ahead of his last solo concert to end the world tour on 30th at Oberhausen, Germany.
JYJ and SM Entertainment settled the dispute over the exclusive contract by agreement on 28th. Many fans are wondering about TVXQ’s future activities.
Kim Junsu said, “For the present I feel it is unfortunate that we cannot stand under the name of TVXQ infront of the fans. I became a singer and made my debut as TVXQ, so the current situation is sad and regrettable.”
He continued, “We intended to fight against the unfairness of the company, not to abandon the title of TVXQ. Many situations occured in the process of accomplishing our goal.”
Kim Junsu’s affection for TVXQ remains unchanged. He said, “I’m sorry to the fans, but the title of TVXQ will always remain in my heart. I think everyone will remember the 5 years I had activities under the name of TVXQ. It is very unrealistic, but if I get a chance to stand as TVXQ someday, I would be happier than ever.”
XIAH Press Translator’s Note: What Junsu is saying about TVXQ is closer to ‘something he wishes but probably isn’t going to happen.’ He is saying he would be happy ‘if’ it happens, but realistically it is close to impossible.
However, the memories of TVXQ will be precious to him.
The nuance is very subtle so here I add a short explanation to clear any misunderstandings.
Please do NOT omit, add or re-edit, INCLUDING the Translator’s Note.
[INFO] K-Netizens’ Responses
Article: Kim Junsu “Lawsuit settlement with SM, I’m surprised as well… I hope it becomes a foundation for my juniors”
Source: OSEN via Nate [allkpop article here]
1. [+737, -97] Seeing as how SM did edit the contracts for the rest of their artists after JYJ followed that lawsuit, there must’ve been something wrong with them. JYJ just took charge for it.
2. [+597, -93] To all of the SM lovers… Why are you so proud of a company that contracts you for 14 years and takes all of your money? So what if JYJ bought foreign cars? That’s not the problem, the problem is that there wasn’t a clear distribution of income. The problem is that the company was stealing their money.
3. [+566, -86] I honestly think a lot of juniors will be glad for them. Now all I need is to hear their voices on public broadcast… I didn’t care about them when they were five but you gotta admit that Junsu’s awesome.. ㅋㅋ
Article: JYJ Junsu “The title of TVXQ will always remain in my heart”
Source: TV Daily via Nate
1. [+273, -33] I looked up his songs after finding out that he won the best male award for his musical and he was really good. How’re people like me supposed to know unless they come out on TV?
2. [+234, -28] Do well on your concert~~ I trust that more great things will be happening!!!
3. [+191, -116] TVXQ was the best when they were five… Their stages feel so empty now that they’re separate… I’d love it if they came out on TV later like g.o.d. saying they reunited ㅋㅋㅋ
Article: Kim Junsu “I’d be really happy if I could stand on stage as TVXQ someday”
Source: SBS E! via Nate
1. [+572, -70] Wherever you are, I’ll always be supporting you. Kim Junsu fighting!
2. [+594, -192] People keep saying that TVXQ was legendary, but don’t they realize that they could only be legends because of the three JYJ members? The true TVXQ is not the current TVXQ but the old TVXQ including the JYJ members. The reason that couldn’t be protected was because of SM. Please leave the past in the past and go our separate ways now. Kim Junsu fighting! JYJ fighting!
3. [+438, -72] JYJ, thank you for walking the path of justice!!! We’ll always be with you until the end. Do well at your Germany concert, daebak!! I believe in you because you are Kim Jaejoong, Park Yoochun, Kim Junsu!!! In the end, it’s JYJ!!!