Korean drama contents are gradually gaining international popularity. Hallyu drama stars dominate the Asian market, and Korean dramas are quickly becoming a major export. In the midst of this drama fad are former idol stars who have successfully converted themselves into big-market actors. Former K-Pop Hallyu stars are quickly becoming K-Drama Hallyu stars.
One of the main reasons former idol superstars are popular among casting directors is the fact that they bring with themselves the international market that they dominated as K-Pop stars. JYJ’s Yoochun and FT Island’s Lee Hongki are the prime examples of this. Since they already have a massive international fanbase, their drama appearances also pique the interest of the same fanbase.
Take this for example: SBS Drama “Three Days” was exported at the highest cost ever for a K-Drama to China prior to its release. “Three Days” was sold for a higher sum than “My Love From The Star.”
If that doesn’t shed a light on idol-actors’ popularity, perhaps these examples may show it.
Note: this post contains spoilers!
‘Three Days’ Son Hyun Joo joined hands with Choi Won Young “I’ll be a faithful dog”
10Asia via Naver
1. (+373, -39) ‘Three Days’ is great fun.
2. (+257, -11) Seems like Son Hyun Joo will be the last winner.
3. (+257, -20) Wow.. how long has it been since the drama started, it’s surely ascending.. But President, you shouldn’t be like this ㅜ
4. (+237, -15) Son Hyun Joo, I really like your voice.
5. (+213, -19) Ah.. ‘Three Days’ is addictive.
6. (+95, -1) Yoon Je Moon is damn terrific, I truly got goosebumps.
‘Three Days’ Son Hyun Joo, “I can’t do anything all by myself” Tears
MyDaily via Naver
1. (+103, -1) The sad moment when the special prosecutor and Han Tae Kyung opened the door and looked at the empty seat makes me sob~~ President’s tears *once again sobbing*.
2. (+82, -0) As expected, Son Hyun Joo-nim~ Today was really tense~ There aren’t many episodes left ㅜㅜ
3. (+79, -0) The acting is daebak.. I cried along with him.
4. (+75, -0) To the President who was sitting alone, Han Tae Kyung raised his head and said he would protect him; I cried ㅠㅠ
5. (+47, -0) Really…ㅠ Fulfilling justice on his own looks so lonely.ㅜ
6. (+44, -1) That is probably the loneliest seat/position in the world..
“10002” and “more” are homonym.
“235” and “Please eat” are homonym.
“Please eat more” is what written on the banner.
JYJ’s Park Yoochun, starring in the drama “Three Days,” has brought about a magnificent fandom for the ‘Tae man’ in China, once again realizing the scope of his popularity.
On April 15, C-JeS Entertainment said, “In China, Park Yoochun’s popularity is explosive. Putting together ‘Tae’ from his ‘Three Days’ character name Han Tae Kyung and the word ‘man,’ the term ‘Tae man’ was coined. On major Chinese portal site Baidu, the members in Park Yoochun’s fan community number 230,000.”
Such is the power of the lead actor in a series. With Park Yoochun’s popularity, fans in China gathered roughly 200 million won (approx.. $192,000) and bought a billboard by the front gate of a shopping center in Beijing. On the billboard that spans roughly 10,700 square feet, the fans wrote, “365 days, 8760 hours, 525600 minutes, 31536000 seconds. We want to see you every single day. We hope Yoochun’s new drama ‘Three Days’ becomes a huge hit, and we congratulate you in advance.”