By Cleopetra Kim (@JaeObsession)
This was the first time I was attending a JJ concert since becoming his fan in April and diehard one in June. I don’t know any guest singers and due to time constraint, I only listened to a few songs of WWW album before the concerts.
Opening VCR was enigmatic, the king was fierce and frightening but I was more curious what those symbols represent? Is there a story behind the video?
The magnificent laser beams and descend of the cage with JJ in it, everyone tried to find where JJ was, it was difficult with so much stage effects going on.
9+1# – My #1 favourite from the album. JJ’s appearance, no shirt underneath fur coat, Jaenip, tattoo on his torso and ribcage. In my mind, Axl Rose St. Louis minus badass attitude. There were screams and u could hear fan-girls dying. I was screaming ‘my heart, my heart’, holding on to my chest as if my heart would fall off!
The drummer set the tempo, JJ’s seductive, moaning voice and an almost whispering husky voice towards the end of the song, gosh I could have died there taking in all of that live, my definition of “eargasm” plus “eyegasm”.
The high energy of this song put the concert into mood straightaway – J-sex, J-rock, J-hot!
Butterfly – Another high-energy number, JJ’s screams & his stern & powerful vocal made this another epic performance that also showcase his higher range vocal. At the end of the song, he was glistening with perspiration. The audience was on fire.
Rotten Love – the feeling – he felt like a rotten apple walking in the rain with a broken heart in great pain, even then still the coolest man on my planet.
Visually I was still on cloud 9, his seductive moves, kissing the mic stand, half removing his coat, showing his full naked front view. I don’t know if I was listening anymore.
Where is the Jae who covered his nipples at the backstage of June Yokohama concerts??
I started mumbling ‘I am very lucky’ because I have always been a huge rock fan, rock was what brought me to JJ and he is now a full fledge rock star complete with rock star attitude – open, seductive, no more reservation. One is at his best when he has no reservation. It felt like a huge step forward from the already world class ‘I’ album/concerts.
Next, he decided to take off his coat and change in front of the audience, omg, I was blushing!!! But the king certainly did not. He did it so casually and extremely slowly killing thousands of fan girls while he enjoyed all our screams. God, just kill me please!
Kiss B. the song that he shy away from in the past but singing it in full for me??? Of course, I am lucky! That smirk on his face, those seductive moves just sent hot flushes down many fan girls. The 2nd half of the song was an unheard rock version with JJ working the audience to sing along, bringing the concert to yet another peak.
Now is good. Time to slow down, perhaps he planned it to give our weak hearts a break before we need to call in Cardiologists? JJ’s beautiful voice, as always, for ballads. The song feels a little 70s/80s Taiwanese to me. With 10 violinists on stage, which I felt was too grand. Personally, I would prefer just acoustic guitar or a capella so his voice could shine through. If someone could do a MR-removed to prove my point?
Don’t walk away. The grand violin intro reminded me of One Kiss intro. Most string intro always made me fall for the song instantly. Grooving between pop, orchestra and rap, very good sound mix. Easily another top contender of WWW album.
VCR – I cannot understand but he sounded serious.
I said I am sorry – a song that brought tears to some fans, one that showcase his forte – his soulful singing, arggh, its painful, who the heck is that girl?? Just throw her away!! Tears, the thing I hate about JJ’s ballads, he never fail to convene those sad emotions to me. This song felt like when I first heard Keshou, crying without understanding the lyrics…
Shiny Day – Another sad ballad, so beautifully done. The guest singers on both days were good but I preferred Lee Sang Gon’s deeper vocal to Moon Myung Jin’s.
JJ came back on stage with that eye catching pink leather jacket with leopard lining, the jacket that I fell in love with instantly. Shortly after, he was on the roving stage, the audience in front was going 360 degree as he went around the hall performing the next 2 songs.
Light/Brighter – Yeah! Time to turn up the volume again with his powerful vocal. There were a lot of screams as he moved around the hall, his voice was rock solid despite being on the move.
Glamorous Sky – OMG, the king was 5 metres away when the roving stage stopped in the middle of the hall on Day 2. That feeling was unreal, in a daze, so surreal, I don’t know if I was breathing, kept screaming, jumping. Finally he had to move on, I cried? I could feel my hand stretching out wanting to pull him back! Oops, I could be dangerous! Thank goodness, he liked my section or so I thought, we were screaming our lungs out every time he turned to our direction so he was facing us alot! I declared those minutes the time of my Seoul trip. Those minutes made every effort well worth. My Glamorous Sky has instantly become the most GLAMOROUS in the world. <<<<<<♥
Backstage in his Super Deluxe backroom.
Blowing kiss, teasing, showing his abs, checking out the audience, drinking milk on Day 1??? Who was he kidding?? True colors shown on day 2, mixing beer with liquor and opening bottles with his microphone, skill that only the king would acquired, I can’t think of others acquiring that skill unless one is a drunkard karaoke king.
Luvholic feat. Kim Bum Soo & Gummy
When the coin dropped, u know its coming!! This is the most colourful song of the entire album. The treatment is top class, 50s/60s rock and roll style, completed with Elvis Presley styled intro and “snake dance”. I preferred Day 2 featuring Gummy, their vocals in a duet was out of this world, this could be a historic K-rock moment. Their stage chemistry, both belting out without reservations simply set the stage on fire. JJ was letting it all out, there was no need to hold back because Gummy’s big voice matches his.
I will write about Gummy (Day 2) because she has a contralto voice that has always been my preference for a female vocalist and left quite an impression with high notes in Snowflake.
Gummy picked the playful cha cha, Childsh Adult, which perfectly bring out her voice, the audience loved it, Koreans were singing along. Next, Snowflake OST so even ifans like myself could hum along, the song is heavenly, listening to it live was an unexpected gift. She was hitting every high note proving her amazing singing skill and wide vocal range that could give JJ a run for his money!
Gummy left me feeling YG lost its greatest vocalist. I hope C-JeS provides her a good platform from now on. She certainly deserves more recognition than what she was getting at YG.
I would urge u to listen to other guest singers too as this is my personal preference, my friend is a seasoned concert-goer and she preferred Kim Bum Soo.
Side track a little, there are many world class vocalists in Korea that K-pop fans are unaware of. Months ago, I came to know Lee Sung Hee through a song that JJ covered. Going through the songs JJ covered made me uncover a lot more gems than what K-pop offers.
We should have been friend (Day 2)
JJ is back on stage, singing this difficult song but JJ always pulls through, hitting those high notes effortlessly.
Keshou (Korean Version)
Another of my favorite coming alive. Everyone was quiet, the stage simple, music minimal, JJ sitting, all attention was on JJ’s breathtaking voice. At a time like that, only these Chinese words come close to describing – 听出耳油。- disgusting in English, literally – listen till ear oil comes out. LOL!
Let the Rhythm Flow
JJ’s voice put me into my dreamland – cruising along the beach during sunset in a convertible with the man of my life. I have my sunglass on and long scarf flowing behind me while this song blasted away.
This is my favourite song from June Yokohama concerts. By this time, I was ticking off my invisible wish list. There are only 2 items left – to hear JJ sing One Kiss and I will always miss you live.
What attracted me to Ultra Soul was JJ applying his nasal voice to this song. The music is playful, lyrics direct and naughty. Overall, it is a fun, lively song, old Japanese rock feel. Listening to it live, makes it livelier. I was in heaven, I think JJ likes me too much! The song allows JJ to sing at top volume, openly express anger & hatreds then move on, so my way of dealing with my dislikes.
JJ managed to get away with Gwiyomi on D1, he expressed many times that he is old and unsuitable but on D2, at the insistence of fans, he did it with many extra JJ’s touches – sexy, teasing & cute all rolled into one. This is precious as it could possibly be the lasts of Gwiyomi from him. I swear if any other guy were to do those actions in front of me, I will puke in disgust!
Bogosipda (D1 – original by Kim Bum Soo)
Even though I was listening to the song for the first time, it sounded like he was crying for something, that high note towards the end was so excellently executed.
JJ bringing the audience into the song at the beginning makes me want to go listen to the studio version. Obviously, he can’t be doing that for studio version but for that moment, I had better enjoy the live version, the rushing adrenalin of him bringing up the tempo.
The audience was jumping in no time to those guitar riffs. What a sunny song, makes me want to run around the beach spraying water at everyone naughtily.
Just Another Girl
JJ was moving his body ever so sexily while singing. After listening to JAG live, the MV paled in comparison. I let those electrifying atmosphere sucked me in, raised hands and started swaying, completely enjoying every second of it.
The song that brought me into JJ’s world with no exit route barely half a year ago. His voice sounded so good, his head banging. Oh come on, just give me more space to bang my head too! Didn’t stop screaming long after the song ended. How is it possible for him to do it better than his costly MV?? The king was totally in his own world at this point.
Again, I don’t understand but later read that he mumbled “It’s a song that I implore you all not to leave me and that you all can’t get away from me anyway – trans by jaetaku” before Paradise
The song exudes a mysterious feel. JJ slowly distanced himself, eventually disappeared from stage. So unreal, I haven’t get enough JJ, can we rewind and start over? Ok, let’s compromise, rewind to the middle?? This ending made me want to go back for more again and again, it didn’t end abruptly, just too quietly unlike previous concert videos I have watched.
Being a fan of concert videos, none make me want to attend their live concerts so badly as JJ’s.
His live concerts were true to my observations and surpassed my expectations, I don’t think anyone in K-pop world come close to JJ currently. I can’t name any who has it all – looks, voice, style, personality, showmanship in a package like JJ, can u?
JJ voice –
Even though the songs in his concerts/album are classified under generic rock and ballads, these didn’t restrict JJ’s innovations.
In addition to his well recognised wide vocal range and relaxing enunciation – not slurring or mumbling but RELAXING, JJ was applying a variety of singing styles and vocal textures to different songs. Each style or technique used was seamlessly suitable so much so that even those songs he covered became uniquely his.
These efforts were well rewarded – his concerts were never boring, certainly not one that every rock song is similar to the next. And his album well received, it is no wonder that WWW topped 12 iTunes charts around the world in the few days building up to the concerts.
JJ showmanship –
His show is very engaging, captivating and hypnotising. You have no time for anything/anyone else around u. He made me feel rejuvenated. It is weird that I felt so energetic throughout his concerts, energy level that I never thought I possessed.
I remembered looking around once in the middle of the concert, everyone was sucked into his music, like he casted a spell on all of us and we willingly followed him.
From a friend who attended ‘I’ concerts, JJ just brought her to a whole new level.
Band – Day 1 required some fine-tuning here and there, Day 2 improved. Imo, drummer was the best of the lot. Piano was a little too loud during Now is good. There were too many string instrumentalists hence, a little overpowering at some points.
Audience – I preferred the warmed up mood of Day 2, it gives me new insight why someone threw her red bra on stage during JYJ concert because JJ alone is smoking hot & sexy, how could one handle super cute JS & super manly YC as well??
Guest singers – Gummy has the voice to die for, it is an honor to watch her sing live, Both her solos were perfect and Luvholic with JJ will never be forgotten till my last breathe.
Advice – Ignore everyone else while at his concerts, live in a world that’s just JJ and you, dancing horribly or screaming terribly is ok because nobody is going to notice, everyone is there for one person – JJ.
Like many fan accounts, JJ is best listened to live, no word, video or audio will ever justify his greatness. At best, I could come out with legendary, near perfection, EPIC, magnetic, electrifying, surreal, hypnotizing, captivating but these are not enough to describe.
Warning – JJ – my Mr. Brownstone – he is addictive, once or twice is not enough. When u stop, u are going to suffer from withdrawal symptoms.
[PHOTOS] SuperHeroJJ’s Banners
Through my eyes outside Yokohama concerts – basking in the Jaejoong craze before and during Yokohama concerts – 14-16 Nov 2013.
Day before concert:
- Many dragging luggage everywhere near the concert vicinity, many as in many, many, I know it is common sight in Tokyo/Yokohama to see people with luggage.
- K-pop stores nearby allocated special JJ sections near entrances.
- People waiting outside stadium in the freaking cold weather, hoping to hear JJ rehearse.
- Spotted 2 tents outside the stadium.
- Delivery trucks unloading official goods at around 6-7 pm.
- Around 7.30pm, a lot of staff left the stadium, each with a bento, most of them were sitting around us, eating, talking and changing!! Then an empty van drove out of the stadium, I suspected JJ was hiding in there as he was spotted by fans in Shibuya soon after.
1st day of concert:
- Braving the rain and freezing weather, JJ’s fans queue for official concert goods. As early as 7 am, the queue was hundreds of meters. I do not know how early the 1st in the queue was there.
- JJ’s fans now filled up all the shops and restaurants around the vicinity and beyond. There was also a long queue at my hotel lobby (8 minutes walk to the stadium) with Japanese fans carrying C-JeS plastic bags at 2.30 pm.
- JJ’s songs were playing in nearby restaurants and shops.
- Of course u see people carrying C-JeS plastic bags everywhere (similar to Korea but on a much larger scale).
- The female washroom queues were endless from stadium to train station to malls to restaurants.
- There was an unofficial “JJ-flea market” selling JJ’s goods opposite the stadium.
- There were plenty of traffic police, 4 at the nearest pedestrian crossing from Kannai Station South gate to Yokohama stadium. They were guiding pedestrians NOT cars!
- Plenty of personnel and signages directing fans both inside and outside the stadium. I had to say they took extra care when they realized I could not understand Japanese, the boy ensured he has a cover for his position n started running after me to tell me that I went the wrong way!
- At the end of the concert, fans chanted for a while, official personnel came on stage to guide audience out section by section to ease the congestion.
- Being one of the lucky ones near the stage, I was one of the last to leave the stadium at 9-plus, almost an hour after the concert ended.
- Outside, fans were still taking pictures, there were many, many personnel, they were always smiling, attentive, one walked me to where I wanted to go! (Good job, C-JeS for being so well organized!)
- There were also many fans waiting outside the stadium, at the back of the stage, hoping to catch a glimpse of JJ leaving even though it was an hour after concert.
Last day of concert:
- Having to check out of the hotel on this day was not my choice but I couldn’t find any room in Yokohama, I didn’t opt for a change of hotel to one in Tokyo as time was tight at the point of booking, I needed to chop flight seats too.
- Early in the morning before 10 a.m. all the lockers except XS and S were left at Kannai station (concert venue station). Looks like I am not the only one without a room that night. Luckily my luggage was extra small so I could squeeze it with a bag into the S size after much effort & sweat out in the freaking cold morning!!
Pity those latecomers, who had to drag their luggage to other stations.
- Went Shinokubu, k-pop town in Tokyo. The shops there were lined with JJ’s items prominently displayed and there were long queues at shops waiting to pay for JJ’s goods.
- Finally spotted the promotional truck of the Making of Dr Jin’s DVD on my way to my allocated gate 4 today.
- After the concert – fans refused to leave. Long after the concert was over, they were still chanting Jejung.
- By now, I have observed an unusual trend – something that I do not see in Korea and since these were my first Japan concerts, I could not tell if this was a new trend. Many boys attended JJ concerts with their mothers. I could imagine how cool it was for the boys – their mum is a fan of their rock idol. You could tell they were not forced to attend because they were carrying C-JeS plastic bags, tattooed some of JJ’s tattoo etc. Of course, there were mother and daughter pairs too, just not that easy to spot but I sat next to a pair on the first night. JJ must be the only one who is appealing to women in their 30s – 40s as well as their teenage children! So proud of him!